How to Pick the Right LPN College near Choccolocco Alabama
Once you have decided on a rewarding career in the field of nursing, it’s imperative that you find a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) program near Choccolocco AL that will furnish the right education. If you live in Texas or California, then you will be looking for a Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) school instead. There is no difference, other than the names, between an LPN and an LVN. They both undertake the same job functions and work in healthcare facilities under the guidance of Registered Nurses (RN) or Doctors. However their duties do differ depending on the state they practice in, which we will cover in the following section. When starting their search for schools, many future nursing students start with those that are the closest to their residences or that are the least costly. Although cost and location are significant considerations, they are not the only qualifications that you should base your decision on. Other variables, for instance if the schools are accredited or have high pass rates on the licensing exam are extremely important as well. There are additional questions that you should ask potential schools before enrolling in a LPN or LVN training program that we will address later in this article. But first, let’s look at the job of an LPN and what is involved in the education and licensing process.
What is an LPN?
Licensed Practical Nurses have many different duties that they perform in the Choccolocco AL healthcare facilities where they are employed. As their titles imply, they are required to be licensed in all states, including Alabama. Although they may be accountable for overseeing Certified Nursing Assistants (CNA), they themselves typically work under the guidance of either an RN or a doctor. The medical care facilities where they work are numerous and assorted, such as hospitals, medical clinics, schools, and long-term care facilities. Anyplace that you can find patients seeking medical attention is their domain. Each state not only controls their licensing, but also what duties an LPN can and can’t perform. So depending on the state, their everyday work functions can include:
- Checking vital signs
- Providing medicines
- Setting up IV drips
- Monitoring patients
- Collecting blood or urine samples
- Keeping patient records
- Assisting doctors or RNs with procedures
In addition to their job responsibilities being regulated by each state, the medical facilities or other Choccolocco AL healthcare providers where LPNs work can further limit their job duties within those parameters. Additionally, they can work in different specialties of nursing, for example long-term care, critical care, oncology and cardiology.
LVN and LPN Programs
There are generally two academic credentials offered that provide instruction to become an LPN near Choccolocco AL. The one that may be finished in the shortest time frame, generally about 12 months, is the certificate or diploma course. The next choice is to earn a Practical Nursing Associate Degree. These LPN programs are more comprehensive in nature than the diploma alternative and typically require 2 years to finish. The advantage of Associate Degrees, in addition to supplying a higher credential and more extensive training, are that they provide more transferable credit toward a Bachelor’s Degree in nursing. Regardless of the type of credential you seek, it needs to be state approved and accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or any other national accrediting organization. The NLNAC attests that the core curriculum effectively prepares students to become Practical Nurses, and that the majority of graduates pass the 50 state required NCLEX-PN licensing exam.
LPN Programs Online
Enrolling in LPN schools online is becoming a more in demand way to receive instruction and acquire a nursing certificate or degree in Choccolocco AL. Many schools will require attending on campus for a component of the training, and virtually all programs call for a certain number of clinical rotation hours carried out in a local healthcare facility. But since the remainder of the training can be accessed online, this option may be a more convenient approach to finding the free time to attend school for many students. Concerning tuition, many online degree programs are less expensive than other on campus alternatives. Even additional expenses such as for commuting and study materials may be lessened, helping to make education more economical. And many online programs are accredited by U.S. Department of Education recognized organizations. Therefore if your job and family obligations have left you with very little time to pursue your academic goals, maybe an online LPN training program will make it easier to fit a degree into your active schedule.
Questions to Ask LPN Programs
Once you have decided on obtaining your LPN certificate, and if you will attend classes on campus or on the internet, you can use the following guidelines to start narrowing down your options. As you probably are aware, there are many nursing schools and colleges near Choccolocco AL as well as within Alabama and throughout the United States. So it is important to decrease the number of schools to choose from so that you will have a manageable list. As we previously discussed, the site of the school and the cost of tuition are most likely going to be the first two points that you will look at. But as we also emphasized, they should not be your sole qualifiers. So prior to making your final selection, use the following questions to see how your selection compares to the other schools.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the certificate program as well as the school are accredited by a U.S. Department of Education recognized accrediting agency. Aside from helping ensure that you get a premium education, it may help in securing financial aid or student loans, which are frequently not provided for non-accredited schools near Choccolocco AL.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing prerequisites for LPNs are different from state to state. In all states, a passing score is required on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-PN) along with graduation from an accredited school. Certain states require a specified number of clinical hours be performed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s essential that the school you are enrolled in not only provides an excellent education, but also readies you to comply with the minimum licensing requirements for Alabama or the state where you will be practicing.
- Reputation. Check internet rating companies to see what the assessments are for each of the LPN schools you are considering. Ask the accrediting agencies for their reviews also. Additionally, contact the Alabama school licensing authority to check out if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can contact some local Choccolocco AL healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their assessments are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the LPN schools you are considering what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to finish their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were dissatisfied with the program and dropped out. It’s also imperative that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only confirm that the school has a good reputation within the Choccolocco AL healthcare community, but that it also has the network of contacts to assist students obtain employment.
- Internship Programs. The most ideal way to acquire experience as a Licensed Practical Nurse is to work in a clinical setting. Virtually all nursing degree programs require a specific number of clinical hours be completed. Various states have minimum clinical hour prerequisites for licensing also. Find out if the schools have a working relationship with local Choccolocco AL community hospitals, clinics or labs and assist with the placement of students in internships.
LPN Online Nursing Programs Choccolocco Alabama
Choosing the right Licensed Practical Nurse program is probably the most important first step to launching a new career in the healthcare industry. There are numerous variables that you should take into account when picking a nursing school. These variables will be prioritized differently depending on your current career objectives, obligations, and economic situation. As we have pointed out in this article, it is essential that you select an LPN school and a certificate or degree program that are both accredited and have outstanding reputations within the health care community. You originally decided to visit this website because of an interest in LPN Online Nursing Programs and wanting to get more information on the topic Licensed Vocational Nurse Program. However, by using our checklist of qualifying questions, you will be able to produce a shortlist of schools to select from so that you can make your ultimate selection. And with the right degree and training, combined with your dedication and drive to succeed, you can become an LPN in Choccolocco AL.
More Nursing Locations in Alabama
The community gained brief notoriety in 2001 when The Daily Show aired a piece on the "Choccolocco Monster", a part of local folklore concerning sightings of a mysterious creature in the area in the late 1960s. An October 2001 article in the Anniston Star newspaper revealed that the creature was, in fact, local resident Neal Williamson. As a teenager, Williamson would don his costume (consisting of a cow skull and a sheet) and gain the attention of passing cars by jumping out of the woods onto the roadside, often startling motorists.
Bing: Alabama LPN Programs Search results
The Best Online LPN-to-RN Programs 2021 | NurseJournal
Applying To an Online LPN-To-RN Program 2021. The specific requirements for online LPN-to-RN programs vary, although most schools follow the same general guidelines. First, applicants should possess LPN licensure and a high school diploma or GED certificate. Some programs may require a minimum GPA of 2.0-2.5.
LPN Programs in Alabama, License Requirements ...
Details on Alabama LPN Schools & Classes. To become an LPN in Alabama, you’ll need to enroll in a school that offers the program. Many educational institutions, including community colleges and technical/trade schools offer quality LPN programs.
Best LPN to BSN Programs in 2020 (Online & On-Campus)
Many nurses start their careers as an LPN/LVN (Licensed Practical Nurse/ Licensed Vocational Nurse). In several states the LPN nursing program is only 12 to 18 months long including the clinical portion and many hospitals offer this program for free in exchange for X amount of years of service at the hospital (each hospital is … Continue reading "Best LPN to BSN Programs in 2020 (Online & On ...
Nursing Education Programs | Alabama Board of Nursing
All applicants for LPN or RN licensure in Alabama must have completed an approved nursing education program which is approved by the ABN, or substantially meets the same educational criteria as Alabama nursing education programs in order to be eligible to sit for the national licensure examination required by ABN to enter practice as an LPN or ...
Online LPN Programs, Classes & Training | Go LPN Online!
Thanks for visiting GoLPNOnline.com, one of the best resources on the internet for LPN information. You’ll find lots of great information on this site, including some details about where you might be able to find traditional in-classroom LPN classes (listed at the end of each state page), online LPN programs, a salary page, a blog packed with great information, and much more!
Apply | Alabama Board of Nursing
In order to apply for LPN licensure by endorsement, you must have graduated or successfully completed an approved practical nursing program in Alabama, or an approved practical nursing program located in another state or territory that substantially meets the same educational criteria as Alabama programs.
Accredited Online LPN Programs - TopNursing.org
4. LPN Core Classes. There are various LPN programs in community colleges and vocational centers that require you to complete some core classes in Science and Mathematics. These LPN classes can be accomplished online. Apart from that, the practical clinical practice has to be done at a local hospital or medical facility. 5. LPN Refresher Courses
Online LPN Programs | PracticalNursing.org
LPN students who want the flexibility of online degrees do have the option of enrolling in schools that offer hybrid programs. These feature curriculum where some of the coursework is completed online and some is completed onsite at a local nursing school or medical facility.
LPN to BSN Programs - Online & Campus || RegisteredNursing.org
Most LPN to BSN programs take around 2 years of full-time study to complete. For programs that are offered on a part-time basis, the amount of time it takes to complete increases to 3 or 4 years. In some cases, particularly self-paced online formats, students may choose an intensive program option that allows them to earn their degree in less ...
Best LPN-to-BSN Online Programs | NurseJournal
Established in 1865, Indiana State University hosts more than 100 undergraduate majors, 75 graduate degrees, and 70 online programs. Its baccalaureate nursing completion program offers an online LPN-to-BSN track in a fully distance learning format. The 120-credit program does not require any campus residency; it also allows students to complete the 495 required clinical hours close to home.